TITLE 11. CRIMINAL LAW
CHAPTER 61. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
ARTICLE 1. RIOT, DISORDERLY CONDUCT, AND RELATED OFFENSES
Sec. 11.61.140. Cruelty to animals
(a) A person commits the crime of cruelty to animals if the person
- (1) intentionally inflicts severe and prolonged physical pain or suffering on an animal;
(2) recklessly neglects an animal and, as a result of that neglect, causes the death of the animal or causes severe pain or suffering to the animal; or
(3) kills an animal by the use of a decompression chamber.
- (1) conformed to accepted veterinary practice;
(2) was part of scientific research governed by accepted standards; or
(3) was necessarily incident to lawful hunting or trapping activities.
(d) Cruelty to animals is a class A misdemeanor.